Finding the best exterior gloss varnishes for wood for your budget if you're looking for some help keeping yourself in shape or need guidance on where to start. This review gives you an overview of your options. There is a lot of exterior gloss varnishes for wood on the market; which one should you buy? I've reviewed and rated 10 of the most popular products in this article.
10 exterior gloss varnishes for wood: Editor Chooice
Our 10 exterior gloss varnishes for wood Review:
- PROTECTIVE CLEAR FINISH – Minwax Helmsman Water Based Spar Urethane is a crystal clear wood finish that is specially formulated to protect against nature’s toughest conditions.
- EFFECTIVE YEAR ROUND – This wood varnish forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture to protect your projects and keep them looking their best. Special oils allow the finish to expand & contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures change.
- VERSATILE – Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture and more. It’s a versatile water-based spar urethane that dries quickly and cleans up easily with warm water.
- GLOSS FINISH – Give your wood projects a sleek finish with this gloss clear varnish. It not only protects the natural beauty of the wood, but offers a shiny, sleek sheen for a modern look. It’s ideal for use over light colored woods and stains.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Minwax is America’s leading brand of wood finishing and wood care products. Since 1904, we have been inspiring consumers to Keep on Finishing. We offer consumers a complete line of products to meet every wood finishing need.
- CLASSIC MARINE VARNISH contains premium tung oil, phenolic resins and UV blockers for a beautiful transparent amber finish on all types of interior and exterior wood on boats, strip canoes, kayaks, outdoor wooden bar tops, garage doors, furniture and more
- DURABLE URETHANE SPAR VARNISH with maximum UV resistance; it remains flexible after curing, and won't peel or crack when the wood expands and contracts with seasonal humidity and temperature changes
- EASY TO APPLY BY BRUSHING, ROLLING OR SPRAYING: For a high gloss finish, apply 4-6 coats of Gleam Gloss; for a sleek satin finish, build with coats of Gleam Gloss varnish and use Gleam Satin for the final coats; Application Temp: 45-105F, 0-85% RH
- SELF-LEVELING FINISH DRIES FAST: Recoat in 1 hr. @ 72°F; apply up to 3 coats in 1 day; if desired, thin 5-10% with TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 (brush/roller application) or 10-20% with TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 (spray application)
- AVAILABLE IN GLOSS OR SATIN (low-sheen), in Pint, Quart and Gallon sizes; Coverage: 360-400 sq ft/gallon; Thinner: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 (brushing/rolling); TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 (spraying)
- MARINE GRADE VARNISH imparts a rich, clear amber tone that enhances wood grain; creates a durable, uv resistant, waterproof finish that won't fade; ideal for interior and exterior wood, brightwork on boats & outdoor furniture
- CLASSIC SPAR VARNISH WITH A MODERN TWIST: High-build, fast-drying formula allows rapid recoating, multiple coats per day and no sanding between coats; sand lightly before the final coat - be done in a little over 1 day
- FLEXIBLE COATING WON'T CRACK OR PEEL: Premium, oil-based marine polyurethane finish is not damaged when wood expands and contracts with changes in temperature; perfect for all types of wood
- EASY TO APPLY by brushing, rolling or spraying; For a high gloss varnish finish apply 6-8 coats of Lust Gloss; for a smooth satin finish, build with coats of Lust gloss varnish; use Lust Matte for the finish coats
- AVAILABLE IN HIGH GLOSS OR MATTE FINISH in Pint, Quart and Gallon sizes; Thinner: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 (brushing/rolling) or TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 (spraying); Coverage: 360-400 sq. ft./gallon
- DURABLE MARINE-GRADE VARNISH cures to a hard gloss or satin finish for beautiful brightwork; for interior and exterior use on wood trim, toerails, cockpits, doors, cabinets, chairs, outdoor furniture and more - on your boat or at home
- PROTECTS AGAINST DAMAGE FROM SUN AND WEATHER: Provides superior sun-blocking protection and maximum resistance to salt, abrasion and scratches; excellent adhesion and flexibility let wood expand & contract naturally, without cracking or peeling
- EASY TO APPLY, EASY TO CLEAN UP: Spar urethane is easy to apply by brushing, rolling or spraying; looks milky-white at first, but cures to a clear or clear amber color, depending on formula; for a satin finish, use gloss for build coats and satin for finish coat; easy soap & water cleanup
- FINISH VARNISH JOBS FASTER: Dries fast so you can finish faster than with traditional varnishes; apply up to 5 coats in a day, no sanding between coats; apply at least 2-4 heavy coats for interior applications; 4-6 coats for exterior applications
- CHOOSE FINISH AND COLOR: Gloss finish comes in Clear or Amber colors; Satin finish comes in Clear only; Kit Sizes: Pint, Quart and 4 Quart; Coverage: 40-50 sq ft/pint; 80-100 sq ft/quart; NOTE: Halcyon Satin is not available in a 4 Quart kit
- Interior & Exterior
- For Hard Wooden Surfaces
- Alcohol & Other Common Household Chemicals
- This high solids oil based polyurethane formulated for hard use areas
- Excellent for interior and exterior wood surfaces including floors, doors, furniture cabinets and marine applications above the water line
- Ideal for use on exterior wood surfaces above the water line, including trim, railings and wood furniture
- Oil-based formula expands and contracts with changing weather conditions
- Dries to the touch in 2 hours and covers up to 150 sq. ft.
- Durable coating provides excellent resistance to UV, salt and mildew
- Crystal-clear varnish leaves a beautiful gloss finish with maximum protection
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Mark Hamill, Christopher Plummer, Kiefer O'Reilly (Actors)
- Sean Patrick O'Reill (Director) - Sean Patrick O'Reilly (Writer) - Sean Patrick O'Reilly (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- Durable, protective poly for outdoor wood surfaces such as furniture, doors, windows, fences, trim and more
- Low odor, water based formula is easy to apply and cleans up with soap and water
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 87 sq. ft. per quart, recoat after 2 hours
- Weather and UV resistant top coat does not yellow and protects against mold and mildew
- Crystal clear, gloss finish creates a polished and clean look
- DRIES IN TWO HOURS – Complete your wood projects 3x faster. Minwax One Coat Polyurethane Protective Finish is a crystal clear, protective top coat that dries in just two hours and cleans up easily with soap and water.
- PROTECT WOOD SURFACES – The advanced formulation in this clear top coat provides the same level of durability in one coat the is comparable to three coats of a conventional polyurethane. Use it to easily protect and add beauty to your wood projects.
- GLOSS SHEEN – Give your wood projects a sleek finish with this gloss clear varnish. It not only protects the natural beauty of the wood, but offers a shiny, sleek sheen for a modern look.
- EASY CLEANUP – Get more done with this protective poly coating. It’s an ultra fast-drying crystal clear coat that is non-ambering, and cleans up easily with just soap and warm water.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Minwax is America’s leading brand of wood finishing and wood care projects. Since 1904, we have been inspiring consumers to Keep on Finishing. We offer consumers a complete line of products to meet every wood finishing need.
- Ideal for use on interior/exterior surfaces including wood, plastic, plaster, metal, masonry and unglazed ceramic
- Oil-based formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Dries to touch in 20 minutes and covers up to 12 sq. ft. per can
- Durable formula provides excellent hide and goes on smoothly
- Gloss finish provides a fresh, new look for surfaces
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Select exterior gloss varnishes for wood
We analyzed a wide range of exterior gloss varnishes for wood to provide a great overview of the current market. Each was objective across a few criteria to determine relative levels of performance. We compare each across the different factors to determine which products are best for specific applications. Based on our expert recommendations, we have selected our top picks:
- Brand value
- Consumer ratings & reviews
- Product price
exterior gloss varnishes for wood Buying Guide
The best way to make the most of your time is to list the things you want to buy, weighing all the factors before deciding. There are many ways this post can suggest that will help you do this and avoid purchasing the wrong product.
If you're in a hurry for some reason, take our word for it don't buy anything until you've finished reading this post! These factors will help you make the right decision when buying a product. Here are some of the things that you should consider before buying a product:
- Price: How much are you willing to spend on your new product? If money is not an issue, you can choose the most expensive option. However, if you have a tight budget, then it is important to choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Durability: You need to consider how long your exterior gloss varnishes for wood will last before you buy it. Investing in something that will last longer than buying something that will break down after just a few uses is always better.
- Quality: The quality of exterior gloss varnishes for wood should be considered before buying it. A good product will have high-quality materials used during manufacturing and construction.
- Brand: The brand reputation of a particular product is also important because it tells you how reliable they are and how they stand behind their products.
Here is a brief description of important factors for buying a product:
This is a great way to know what other people have experienced with exterior gloss varnishes for wood. You can check out user reviews on Amazon or other websites where users can post their thoughts on a product. The best place to look for reviews is on Amazon, which has a star rating system that gives you an idea of how good or bad a product is. If there are enough reviews with bad ratings (less than 3 stars), it’s probably not worth buying that product.
Look at the price
This may seem obvious, but it’s important not to just look at how much something costs and decide that it’s too expensive. Instead, you should compare prices between different sellers and see which offers more value for money! For example, if you find a similar product for $10 cheaper elsewhere, it might be worth buying from that seller instead of the first one you came across!
Type of product
There are many types of exterior gloss varnishes for wood you can buy. Some are basic, while others are advanced. You need to determine what type of product you need and then buy one that fits your needs. For example, if you want a simple product, the best choice is a basic one. However, suppose you want something more advanced. In that case, it’s better to get an expensive one because it will have extra features.
The product size also matters when choosing the right exterior gloss varnishes for wood for yourself or someone else, as different people have different requirements when using their products. For example, if there is someone who uses large sized products or devices, then he/she would need something bigger than others who use smaller devices or tools. Therefore, it is important that you look at the size of each product before purchasing them so that they can meet all your needs and requirements in terms of size.
You need to buy a branded product because it has been tested and proven effective by many people before you buy it. Brands also have guarantees on their exterior gloss varnishes for wood so that if anything happens to your new item within the warranty period, they will repair it or replace it without hassle.
You should consider how long the exterior gloss varnishes for wood will last. This is because it is important for you to buy something that will serve your needs for years. If many people have used a particular product without any problem, then it means that it is durable and can serve your purpose well.
Easy to Use
When buying a exterior gloss varnishes for wood, make sure that it is easy to use so that you do not experience any difficulties while using it after purchase. Some exterior gloss varnishes for wood may look great but are too complicated for your level of expertise or knowledge about them. Make sure that the product is user-friendly so that even someone who does not have much experience can use it comfortably without any problems or inconveniences whatsoever.